Thursday, March 15, 2007

Test day


As soon as I wake up I look out the window to see what the weather is up to. Still grey and miserable, but the wind has definitely dropped.
As soon as I realise the test will go ahead, the nerves kick in.
By the time I’m on my bike heading up to the test centre, my mouth is dry and I can feel my heart beating hard.
The examiner introduces himself, explains the test and we head outside.
First the eyesight check, then the safety questions, then we’re off.
We head out towards the A14. As I ride up the slip road I check to the right and see a lorry on the main carriageway. I start to accelerate; sure I’ll be able to join before the lorry reaches me. Almost as soon as I do, the hill and the head wind make me think otherwise and I decide to slow and join behind the lorry. Bit messy. Well, that’s it then I decide. Failed.
It’s a good job it’s not two –way radio. I think the examiner would’ve thought I had Tourettes!
I decide I may as well just carry on the best I can and learn from the experience.
The rest of the ride goes well; even the U-turn I had worried about so much went without a hitch.
Back at the test centre the examiner asks another question on carrying a pillion, then after what seems like an eternity tells me I’ve passed!
He gave me a driving fault for the messy slip road incident, and another two driving faults for hesitancy at junctions (I agree, I was maybe trying too hard to make sure I didn’t slow another vehicle down when I emerged) but that was it!
The relief and excitement were enormous. Now I’ve just got to compose myself enough to ride back to Ipswich rider training. Then I can go and look at the bike!

No comments: