Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Buying a bike


I’d been scanning the Internet looking at bikes for weeks. I’d asked lots of advice on what would be suitable and what wouldn’t. I knew I wanted a bike that would suit me for years rather than months as the bike would be a luxury and not something I’d want to replace any time soon. I couldn’t afford anything new, which I decided was a good thing in case I dropped or scratched it and I wanted it to be capable of all types of riding.
I seemed to be attracted to the more sporty looking bikes, but having sat on a few I soon realise I’m not overly keen on the bent over, bum up riding position.
And then there’s the small budget. I started to wonder if I would actually find a bike that ticked all the boxes.
Then I found Unit 1 at Wickham Market’s website. They had a ZZR 600 for sale. It looked nice, I liked the style and colour.
Within an hour of my test I was sat on the bike to see if I liked the riding position. All boxes ticked so far. John gave it a quick test ride and everything seemed fine. The only negative was that it was slightly over budget. Luckily, Gavin Smith is really approachable and keen to help so we reached a deal. I agree to collect the bike the following week and then head home to prepare for the new arrival. I arrange my insurance, buy some disc and chain locks and a wall anchor… and have to knock down my front wall to make room for it! Three hours and a very sore back later, I’m ready for my first motorbike to arrive.

No comments: