Monday, March 05, 2007

All dressed up and nowhere to go

This is it. Test day. The last few days have been awful. A freezing fog has just hung around endlessly, making everything and everyone feel cold and miserable. Today is no different. My nerves wake me up early, so I’m reading through the ‘Show me/Tell me’ Questions the examiner asks before we go out riding.
Apparently the Tests all went out yesterday, so I’m hoping mine will go ahead. As anxious as I am, I just want to get it done.
The ice on my car is pretty thick, and I’m beginning to wonder what it will be like to ride a bike in this sort of weather.
As I arrive at Ipswich Rider Training, Ros tells me the first two tests have been cancelled and mine is in doubt.
I can’t decide if I’m relieved or bitterly disappointed. Rob returns with the last candidate who was turned away, and we get ready to head up to the Test centre.
On the ride there, the fog gives way to low wintry sun, getting my hopes up, only to be dashed again as we approach the Test Centre which is still cloaked in fog. The ice seems to have melted off the main roads, and the ride hasn’t felt scary or unsafe. Any misgivings I had have disappeared. I’m up for it. The practice U-turn and Emergency stop went fine and I feel I’m ready to give it my best shot.
As we stand in the waiting room, an Examiner comes out to tell a poor Learner driver her test won’t be going ahead due to the weather.
My heart sinks. If a car can’t go out, there’s no way we will. Sure enough, our Examiner comes out and gives us the bad news and a letter from the DSA explaining what happens next. Apparently, I now wait to be contacted with a new Test date.
It's very disappointing, but there's not much I can do about it.

The ride back felt strange. All that nervous energy un-used. Now it’s just a case of putting everything on hold until a Test date comes through. Then I can start preparing again, and hopefully next time I’ll at least get to take the test.

No comments: