Monday, March 05, 2007

Feeling the pressure

Next time I arrive at Ipswich Rider Training, I’ll be making my way up to the Test Centre.
This was my last lesson before my Test. I’m guessing it’s probably that fact that made everything feel very wrong. My backside seemed to be continually slipping on the seat; my hands couldn’t get comfortable on the clutch or the throttle, making gear changes and acceleration horribly jerky. My feet couldn’t get comfortable on the pegs. My shoulders ached. My visor kept misting up.
I felt completely ill at ease and clumsy. On the up side, the U-turns, for the most went part ok!
Two months ago I had never sat on a bike, and never had any urge to. Now I’m a few days away from taking my test, and I’ve surprised myself by how much this means to me. It’s not just about the fear of failure; it’s about wanting the licence, wanting a bike. From my initial indifference, to slight interest,
to looking forward to the next lesson, just to be on a bike again.
I find myself scouring the Internet for suitable bikes, determined to have one the minute I pass my Test. All that stands in my way is about 35 minutes of being assessed by an Examiner. I just hope my riding can stand up to it.

No comments: