Wednesday, January 24, 2007

U-turns


Apparently I’m not alone in disliking U-turns! To me, the A14 is barely wide enough to do a U-Turn, and I’m talking all 4 lanes!
There’s something about them that makes me nervous. The scary thought of mounting pavements; sending pedestrians scattering; ending up in someone’s garden.
I’ve decided as well as avoiding dual-carriageways, I’m probably going to get off and push my bike round should the need arise after test!
On our ride round I had a lady look me straight in the eye and then walk out in front of me, which didn’t faze me one bit, but give me an empty road and an instruction to do a U-turn and I can feel a panic coming on.
We started off on a nice wide road. After a few attempts, which weren’t entirely hideous, we found a narrower road.
Rob told me this was the widest road they use for test, so I’m not looking forward to seeing the narrowest.
A couple of reasonable U-turns, then a couple of wobbly, foot-down mess-ups. I had to finish on a good one. I refused to let them get the better of me. When I don’t look at the kerb opposite, sit up straight, and basically don’t panic, they’re improving. Slightly.

1 comment:

debz said...

hi Michelle,

just wanted to say welldone on your progress so far, i am also a new rider and after reading all your postings it has made me feel a little better. everything you have described i can say i felt the exact same, the highs, lows, excitement, frustration etc. I can completely relate to it all. you have gone much further than me though and hopefully in the near future i will be on my 600 kawasaki that i got for christmas .
Good luck i will be rooting for you and cheecking your progress from now on